FIBER CEMENT SIDING INSTALLATION AND REPAIR SERVICES – WHAT IS FIBER CEMENT SIDING?
Fiber cement siding is a type of siding made up of fibers (usually cellulose), a cement material (often Portland cement), and sand or other non-reactive filler material. These are compressed and blended into a durable solid plank material that is stronger and more durable than wood or vinyl. It is often abbreviated as FCS and may go by a variety of trade names in different countries or regions.
Fiber cement siding installation and repair service providers point out that there is a wide variety of fiber cement siding, including pieces that come pre-primed, and those that aren’t primed and need to be primed and painted once installed. Some manufacturers offer standard pre-painted color options, and some fiber cement siding installation and repair service providers will also provide the option of pre-painted siding installation. Typically, the FCS pieces delivered in plank form then cut to size and installed like traditional wood or vinyl siding.
FIBER CEMENT SIDING INSTALLATION AND REPAIR SERVICES – BENEFITS / TRADEOFFS
There are several benefits of using fiber cement siding for home or office applications. Experts from fiber cement siding installation and repair services highlight some of the key attributes as follows:
- Versatility – FCS can be made to look like wood or shingle-style siding, and therefore can fit in with many overall design plans for a home or office,
- Durability – fiber cement siding lasts significantly longer than wood siding, owing to its much higher resistance to moisture and rot,
- Safety – FCS also has a much higher resistance to fire than wood siding (after all, wood siding is made primarily of wood, and fiber cement siding contains a significant portion of non-combustible materials, like cement and sand),
- Design Options – fiber cement siding can be painted pretty much any color, and often can be pre-painted by the manufacturer (who may offer a set color palette) or by the installer, saving time and effort as opposed to painting after installation,
- Affordability – FCS has the right balance between durability and cost, costing more than some less-durable materials like wood, but costing less than options like stone, slate, or brick.
According to information from several fiber cement siding installation and repair services, we can provide a general overview comparison between some of the most common types of siding, their lifespan, and their cost. The calculations are only for the purposes to demonstrate differences; prices hugely vary by the countries and regions.
Fiber cement siding
- 40 years of average siding lifespan
- The one-time cost - 4,000 sq. ft of $6,000 (approx.)
- $0.04/square foot/year of life
- 50 years of average siding lifespan
- One-time cost - 4,000 sq. ft of $24,000 (approx.)
- $0.12/square foot/year of life
- 25 years of average siding lifespan
- One-time cost - 4,000 sq. ft of $5,500 (approx.)
- $0.06/square foot/year of life
- 25 years of average siding lifespan
- One-time cost - 4,000 sq. ft of $15,000 (approx.)
- $0.15/square foot/year of life
- 100 years of average siding lifespan
- One-time cost - 4,000 sq. ft of $32,000 (approx.)
- $0.08/square foot/year of life
- 100 years of average siding lifespan
- One-time cost - 4,000 sq. ft of $64,000 (approx.)
- $0.16/square foot/year of life
FIBER CEMENT SIDING INSTALLATION AND REPAIR SERVICES – INSTALLATION PROCESS
The installation process for fiber cement siding is very similar to traditional wood siding. While the specifics may vary by brand, type, etc., in general, the fiber cement siding installation and repair service company will provide the overall installation process steps below.
- If no existing siding, no removal work needs to be done. If the siding must be replaced, then the existing siding must be removed.
- Preparation work includes wrapping the house with insulation or special backing paper over the standard plywood and marking out stud locations.
- Fiber cement siding installation and repair services will often use a variety of means and variable steps as to measuring, sizing, and cutting the siding pieces. These can include a circular saw, specialized shears, a jigsaw/table saw, or scoring with special knives. In general, corners/edges will be installed first, followed by the main body of the siding.
- The siding is attached using one of several possible methods, including manual nailing, pneumatic gun nailing, or corrosion-resistant screws, all of which typically are designed to penetrate at least one inch into the stud.
- Once complete, the homeowner or the fiber cement siding installation and repair services company may need to paint the siding (if it is not pre-painted). The Primer may be required (if it is not pre-primed). In all cases, this kind of information should be included as part of the consultation and materials selection, as many homeowners prefer to get pre-painted or at least pre-primed siding to avoid extra work later.
FIBER CEMENT SIDING INSTALLATION AND REPAIR SERVICES – TYPICAL REPAIRS
Like any other part of a home or office building, siding can become damaged over time, and require repairs. Fiber cement siding installation and repair services are often one-in-the-same – that is, it is rare to find a company that installs fiber cement siding but does not do repairs and vice versa. So, typically, if an owner has had their siding installed by a company, it may be advisable first to seek out that company’s services for repairs – after all, they should be most familiar with their work.
Regardless of which fiber cement siding installation and repair services company is chosen, some of the most common issues that need repairs include:
- Cleaning or power washing – this is one of the tasks that might not fall under the provenance of fiber cement siding installation and repair services, as it is more of a maintenance job than a repair task. Specialized companies who do power washing of siding are often available.
- Loose fiber cement boards can develop over time, either due to poor installation, or more often, wear, tear, and house settling. It is common in areas of high seismic activity or for homes built on more water-logged and unstable ground, which can lead to home shifting over time. Usually, these are relatively simple repairs, utilizing nails or screws to fasten the siding planks back into place on the studs.
- Warping can occur over time if the planks were not properly installed, or gaps were not left at ideal measurements. Repairing this problem can be fiber cement siding installation and repair services first attempt to re-fasten the board or, if that fails or warping is too significant, they may have to remove the plank, cut it, and re-apply.
- Paint issues can also develop over time. Whether professionally painted, pre-done by the factory, or done by the homeowner, paint can chip and flake over time. It is both an aesthetic problem, as well as a functional one – it can leave the underlying material more susceptible to damage from the weather. In most cases, re-painting (which may involve some abrasion, scraping, or sanding) will solve these problems.
FIBER CEMENT SIDING INSTALLATION AND REPAIR SERVICES – CONCLUSIONS
In conclusion, fiber cement siding is a relatively low-maintenance, balanced option for home and office siding needs. It is not the cheapest type of siding, but not nearly as expensive as others. Regarding long-term cost (cost as a function of expected lifespan), fiber cement siding is one of the best choices. It is far more durable and resistant to moisture and rot than wood while lasting quite a long time. Any siding installation is a big task, and while fiber cement siding is no more complicated than a wood siding installation, both should be left to the fiber cement siding installation and repair services experts, to ensure the job is done correctly. For repairs or maintenance, the same fiber cement siding installation and repair services companies can usually fix most minor problems with ease and at a relatively low cost.
Aluminum Siding Installation
The exterior of the building is the first impression we make on visitors, and it’s the view that welcomes us when we return, an unappealing outside or one in poor repair can dampen our spirits. If your house has aluminum siding or you are thinking about aluminum siding installation, this article will help you consider the benefits, drawbacks and make an informed choice regarding aluminum siding installation and repair services.
SHOULD YOU CHOOSE ALUMINIUM SIDING?
Just it’s a great material that doesn’t rust, is easily installed, so it goes up quickly. It improves energy efficiency and protects your home from elements.
Appropriately installed it looks excellent giving your home curb appeal. That said it does have drawbacks; aluminum siding installation is easy if you know what you are doing so it might be better to consider using aluminum siding contractors unless you are familiar with the material and process. It will need repair; although it doesn’t rust over time the aluminum will fade, it can scratch and dent. A keen DIYer may decide to tackle these, and we’ll look at the “How to” later but using aluminum siding installation and repair services are likely to be necessary at some point in your siding’s lifetime.
There are other types of siding you could consider, and the choice may be dictated by whether your property already had, or what homes in your neighborhood have. If you do already have siding installed, it might be possible to repair it or replace just sections using the same material. Ultimately these considerations, your budget, and maintenance preferences may be the deciding factor in your decision.
WHO INVOLVED IN ALUMINUM SIDING INSTALLATION?
Understanding the tasks can help you choose whether to use aluminum siding contractors to complete your siding installation but more importantly what questions you need to ask to find the right aluminum siding contractor.
PREPARATION FOR ALUMINIUM SIDING INSTALLATION
Different tools needed for aluminium siding installation some of which are special for aluminum siding; this avoids damaging the material, they need to be clean and in working order.
Preparing the building thoroughly, will give a smoother aluminium siding installation, remove fixtures that may interfere with installation [e.g., downpipes, electrical service fittings, etc.], tie back trees and shrubs, cutting window sills flush with the aluminum siding installation is desirable but that is the owners choice.
Get rid of surface irregularities such as nails or loose shale depending on the material. For wooden exteriors dry rot should be checked for and treated, loose boards secured, and rotten wood replaced. Some surfaces require the installation of wooden strapping before the aluminum siding so always check the manufacturer’s recommendations. Finally, apply sealing caulk needed, again this will depend on the material beneath the siding.
HANDLING THE ALUMINUM SIDING
Aluminum siding contractors are familiar with the handling of the material so complete installation in a way to avoid unsightly errors caused by damaging during sawing incorrectly, rust forming where non-aluminum nails used or blemishes due to nailing too tightly.
ALUMINUM SIDING INSTALLATION PROCEDURE
Aluminum siding product installation should be carried out in the correct order, usually trims, panels, and finally caps but is dictated by the direction of the completed aluminum siding installation [vertical or horizontal aluminum panels].
For a novice, there is a great deal to consider and possibly tools to buy however for professional aluminum siding contractors this is all in a day’s work. You perhaps not consider tackling the aluminum siding installation yourself but now are prepared to find the right aluminum siding contractor for you.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN AN ALUMINUM SIDING CONTRACTOR?
When looking for any contractor, reputation speaks volumes, and deciding on the right aluminum siding contractors is no exception. A reputation built on the quality of the product, the manner, and professionalism of personnel (all staff not just the ones carrying out installation), and warranties.
First, decide what you need from the product. It might be the aesthetic, energy efficiency, or protection from the elements; cost will usually feature also. Aluminum siding installation companies will likely recommend a variety of aluminum sidings based on your needs and desires this will give you a shortlist to choose from.
Ask your neighbors whose aluminum siding installation you admire who were their aluminum installation contractors or find them on independent websites. Look at things like whether they completed the work on time if their working procedures were safe if the aluminum siding installation experience was stressful as well as the quality of the finished job.
Established aluminum siding installation companies with good reputations will undoubtedly have a long line of satisfied customers and many examples of successful aluminum siding installations, but don’t dismiss newer competitors that may have benefits such as cost savings. Asking the right questions will reveal any potential problems but also give “newbies” a chance to reassure you that they are up for the job.
Finally, ask about their methods of preparation, what contingencies they have for when things don’t go, how they will deal with any peculiarities in aluminum siding installation, and note how they relate to you as a customer. That could be the start of an ongoing relationship as they see you through aluminum siding installation and repair service in the years to come so take your time and make sure their service is of the highest quality.
BENEFITS OF USING AN ALUMINUM SIDING CONTRACTOR
Installation of aluminum siding is relatively simple compared to other siding materials which encourage some to save money and have a go themselves, what benefits are there in sticking with aluminum siding contractors?
Firstly, they have the certifications which means that warranties and guarantees back their aluminum siding installation work, those considering self-installation should make sure that this won’t negate product guarantees. They have experience working with aluminum siding materials and accessories; they have the right skills, tools, and training to complete aluminum siding installation work.
These benefits need to be balanced with your needs some, particularly cost can be a harsh driving factor in decision making.
WHY MIGHT ALUMINUM SIDING NEED REPAIR?
So, you have a new aluminum siding installation, your home is looking amazing, and you can’t wait to drive up and admire it after work, what could go wrong? Overtime unfortunately scratches, dents and fading can occur on aluminum siding, if not dealt with promptly your home may become unsightly. Can you sort this out yourself or do you need aluminum siding repair services?
REPAIRING ALUMINIUM SIDING
The common problems are fading, scratches and dents, here’s some more information to help decide if you need aluminum siding repair services.
Easily resolved by painting latex paint directly on the boards or vinyl paint which is long-lasting as it doesn’t peel or fade. Consider the size of the job and your capabilities when deciding whether to contact aluminum siding repair services, although this is the most straightforward remedy.
Need to be repaired with exterior grade caulk in a matching color, a smooth application is essential for a good finish. Small holes in aluminum siding can be repaired similarly. Potentially this affects the look of the home and the area needing repair may determine whether you use aluminum siding repair services.
Dents in aluminum siding are a much bigger problem with different solutions. Depending on the extent of the aluminum siding damage, dents can be repaired by making a small hole to work in a screw to pull out the dent, fix the hole with caulk as above. For large dents the aluminum siding panels may need removing and replacing, achieving a good fit is essential for a water tightness as well as look. That best left to the professional aluminum siding repair services.
In any case, the sooner you intervene to resolve an issue the more accessible the solution is likely to be, and your aluminum siding will remain to look fabulous for years to come.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN CHOOSING ALUMINUM SIDING REPAIR SERVICE?
If your aluminum siding installation experience was a positive one you are likely to contact the same aluminum siding contractors to provide you with aluminum siding repair services. Should you need an alternative, take a similar approach to that used when deciding who to use for aluminum siding installation, make sure that they are trained and experienced in particular type aluminum siding repairs.
CONCLUSION ABOUT ALUMINUM SIDING INSTALLATION AND REPAIR
Aluminum siding can be a great addition to your home by improving its look and energy efficiency, along with offering protection from the weather. Installed correctly likely by certified aluminum siding contractors with the reputation it can last for years and be a valuable addition to your home. Aluminum siding needs less maintenance and repairs than wood siding and relatively easy to carry out, especially if you engage the aluminum siding installation and repair services.